The Alliance for Boys and Men of Color (ABMoC) is a network of more than 200 advocacy organizations and community leaders who come together to advance race and gender justice by expanding opportunity and transforming state and local policies that are failing boys and men of color, their families and communities. Since our founding eleven years ago, we’ve passed more than 100 bills in the CA legislature and won policy change in countless cities and counties statewide including:
- An end to decades of secrecy regarding police misconduct and use of force.
- More than $30 million in funding to improve support systems for students in K-12 schools.
- And end to the practice of suspensions and expulsions for “willful defiance” for all K-3 students in California and for all students in some of the state’s largest school districts including Los Angeles and Oakland Unified School Districts.
- Statewide Ban the Box policies.
- New job-training programs for people returning home after incarceration, which has supported thousands of people in their re-entry.
- CURYJ and Youth Justice Coalition, two ABMoC members and organizations led by formerly incarcerated and system-impacted people, have led the fight against gang injunctions in California and are national leaders in ending the war on gangs. Their efforts have ended gang injunctions in communities across the state from Oakland to San Diego.
- An end to the use of solitary confinement for young people incarcerated in California youth prisons and jails.
Every year, we host events like lobby days, summits, and legislative hearings to build the skills of emerging leaders, center their voices, and deepen our impact by learning and organizing together. We’ve trained more than 1,000 youth leaders in California at events like the Youth Power Summit and supported the leadership and organizing capacity of more than 200 organizations.
The Alliance is a member is a member of the following networks, councils and advisory groups:
- Building the California Dream Alliance
- California Alliance for Youth and Community Justice (CAYCJ)
- California Opportunity Youth Network (COYN)
- California Partnership to End Domestic Violence (CPEDV)
- Care First Coalition
- Catalyst of San Diego & Imperial Counties
- College for All Coalition
- Fix School Discipline
- ICE out of California Coalition
- State of Equity Advisory Group
2019 Data Fellows & Tableau Partnership
A partnership between ABMoC and Tableau Foundation, the Fellowship is designed to increase the ability of ABMoC partners to use data as a tool to advance campaigns that expand opportunity and transform systems that are failing boys and men of color, their families, and communities.